Archie Battersbee’s mum has said she will hear the machines that are connected to her son “for the rest of my life” as she faces his life-sustaining treatment being withdrawn this weekend.
Hollie Dance and Paul Battersbee launched a number of legal challenges after it was ruled that their son’s life sustaining treatment could be withdrawn as he was deemed brain-stem dead.
But now the mum faces the potential end, with his treatment expected to be withdrawn this weekend.
Hollie has said the noises of the machines which sustained her boy’s life will haunt her for the rest of her life.
The 12-year-old boy has been in a coma relying on life-sustaining treatment since a horrific accident in April this year.
The mum’s revelation comes as the family’s efforts to move him to a hospice were rejected Friday.
Speaking to the Mail Online, she said: “Some days are better than others. When one of my favourite nurses is in I find it easier to sleep, but when they’re not, I wake up every 40 minutes checking the machines.
“Until a month ago his machines were constantly bleeping, which meant they were highlighting issues. They have calmed a lot in the last month” she claimed this meant they were showing “progress”.
“They are still the backdrop to my world though. Whatever happens I think I will hear those machines for the rest of my life.”
She spoke to the outlet over a few days this week and said she did “everything I could” and said her “unconditional love” of her son fuelled her efforts.
This comes as earlier, Archie’s parents lost a bid to challenge a High Court ruling that refused to have him moved to a hospice before his life-sustaining treatment is withdrawn.
Mrs Justice Theis previously concluded it was not in Archie’s best interests to be moved.
The judges considering the application at the Court of Appeal agreed with her and said: “In all respects, Theis J’s judgment deals comprehensively with each of the points raised on behalf of the parents.
“We have reached the clear conclusion that each of her decisions was right for the reasons she gave.
“It follows that the proposed appeal has no prospect of success and there is no other compelling reason for the Court of Appeal to hear an appeal.”
Now, according to a campaign group, the life-sustaining treatment will be turned off at 10am Saturday as they admitted “all legal routes have been exhausted”.
Christian Concern announced the family had been told Friday night that the 12-year-old’s life-sustaining treatment would end.
A spokesman with Christian Concern, which has been supporting Archie Battersbee’s family, said: “All legal routes have been exhausted. The family are devastated and are spending precious time with Archie.”
Almost two months ago, back in June a court heard that parts of the youngster’s brains were “dead and decaying ”.
Court documents also revealed that there are currently 17 separate interventions or other treatments keeping Archie’s body functioning at a “very basic level”.