Latest Post

Ukraine live briefing: European leaders arrive in Kyiv in show of support on famine anniversary Wales vs Australia LIVE rugby: Latest score and updates as Jac Morgan gets second try to extend Wales lead

Two young schoolboys have been charged with arson after they allegedly tried to burn down an entire block of flats.

The two kids, aged just 13 and 14, were accused of trying to start a fire in the bin at a block of flats in Watford, yesterday.

Officers said the teens were charged with arson and today the duo stood before Watford remand court.

One resident said they feared it could have been “another Grenfell”.

They were released on conditional bail until they will face court again later this month on July 27.

Detective Inspector Chris Parperi, from Watford Local Crime Unit, said: “This was a fast-moving investigation which has now seen two teenagers charged and the case will progress through the courts.

Some of the families evacuated from the tower block in the early hours of the morning ( Jeremy Selwyn)

“We appreciate that this incident has, understandably, caused a great deal of concern among the local community and officers remain in the area to provide reassurance.

“If you have any information about what happened and haven’t yet spoken to the police, we’d urge you to please do so.”

Police were called to the incident around 4:50am after the fire started in a bin store at the block of flats.

Officers helped Hertfordshire Fire and Rescue services at the scene and all 94 flats were evacuated and roads closed while the fire was extinguished.

A few people reported minor smoke inhalations injuries but those affected were quickly helped by paramedics from the East of England Ambulance Service

Whilst the majority of residents have been able to return home, it is believed the fire left people from five properties needing somewhere to stay.

But Watford mayor Peter Taylor said that accommodation had been found for the families after local police worked with Watford Community Housing to help them out.

Local resident Andrew Carberry said he heard an “explosion” from the tower block and rushed to warn people living inside.

Officers arrested and charged two teenagers, aged just 13 and 14, in relation to the alleged arson attack ( Jeremy Selwyn)

The 44-year-old charity worker said said he was able to warn a family of the fire and they subsequently made it to safety, The Watford Observer reported.

He added: “I just didn’t want another Grenfell to happen right outside my doorstep.

“I wanted to make sure nobody died and luckily, they didn’t.

“There were lots of other people about and the fire service were already there by the time I got to the end of my road.”